[wplug] GUM topic embedded linux?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:20:02 EST 2007

Eli Heady wrote:
> Has there recently been a GUM talk on this? The thread on the wrt and nslu2
> intimates there is knowledge of installing and using such embedded projects.
>
> I could provide 2 wrt's (a v3 and v5) and maybe a GL for hands-on demoing that
> day. I'd be happy to reflash the Linksys firmware beforehand.
>
> Has anybody created custom images for use on these things? Or other embedded
> devices that would be fun to hear about? A talk just on the nslu2 would be
> fun too.

If there has been one, it hasn't been in a decent while.  At the meeting
with lightning talks in October of 2005 I covered some of the basics of
hacking the WRT54G and using dd-wrt to provide for nice new bells and
whistles -- however it was only a 10 minute lightning talk.

I'd certainly say there is interest in it, especially if you can show
some of the more enterprisey stuff that you can do with the WRTs, such
as Radius authentication, mounting a samba drive, all that fun stuff.

Anyway, if you or anyone else would like to do that, we're looking for a
topic for our April meeting.  Contact me offlist if interested.

--Patrick