[wplug] Samba problem

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Tue Jan 30 21:53:09 EST 2007

Its kind of a lot of details here, so I realize you may have said
everything I'm going to suggest.

But, I work with a lot of Windows machines, and I will try to exhibit a
little insight here.

First thing I would do is determine if the Windows machines are logging
any other errors.  Check the System, Application, and Security logs in
the Event Viewer.  They may be clean even if there should be something
logged -- Windows is very flexible about what logging level is used.

If not, I would also check the registry entries
hkey_local_machine/currentcontrolset/services/lanmanworkstation/paramaters/requiresecuritysignature
= 0, enablesecuritysignature = 1.  enableplaintextsignature = 1 might be
a bit of a risk, but you might try it.  Use similar settings in
lanmanserver/parameters too.  lanmanserver shouldn't matter here, but
who knows -- it can't hurt.

That is one thing that can screw up windows.  Then, you get the error
message, and for one reason or another, it doesn't tell you what's
really going on.

Supposing that doesn't work, you have to determin how these Windows
machines are able to see the linux box in the browser.  The error says
"name not found."  Well, why would it be found?  There's no DNS, maybe
there's WINS, maybe there isn't.  Maybe its NetBEUI brodcasts.  Its
definitely not magic.  Maybe it shows up in the browser via a brodcast,
but when you try to access the share, it can't resolve the name.  You've
got to figure out how thats happening.

Can the Windows box connect to other shares?

Mike