[wplug] Homebrew DHCP-TFTP-DNS Appliance - any pre made distributions?

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Tue Jan 30 21:00:56 EST 2007

scoob8000 wrote:
> Before I do my own thing, I was just wondering if anyone has seen or
> heard of any distros built for this purpose.

One suggestion is to look at dnsmasq.  Its the one thing you want for
dns and dhcp.  It does everything you would want in this setup that isc
dhcp or bind do.  Its significantly simpler, for dhcp and dns, and to
top it all of dhcp and dns are integrated to work together.

I have a linksys WRT54G (msrp, $50).  Its simple, no moving parts, and
it doesn't consume much energy, and oh yeah, the wireless transmitter.

Take a look at openwrt, ddwrt, tomato, and hyperwrt.  I realize you
might not be planning on doing this on embedded linux, but these distros
offer a lot of what you're looking for.  They probably aren't desirable
for x86, but a) look at the ARM systems (eg, linksys, netgear, etc.) b)
those distros (probably) have everything you need.