[wplug] Samba problem

R.E.Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sun Jan 28 22:51:29 EST 2007

Hi all,

I want to share files to various Linux and Windows2000 PC's on my home
network.

Since I use DHCP I wanted to use Samba for it's IP address independent
interface (via netbios names).

Here's the problem.

I have a Linux machine I want to serve up some Music files from.
I want everyone to be able to read the files regardless if they have a local
account on the Media hosting PC.

I can NOT get guest working right.

If I told you everything I have tried this email would be HUGE.
I'll try to keep this short.

I created a directory called /home/Music and created a share called Music in
smb.conf.  /home/Music is owned by coutchre.users with 755 permissions.

I also added another directory called /home/test owned by nobody.

I set up samba for security = user, map to guest = Bad User, guest account =
nobody and added nobody to smbpasswd.
(I have tried setting things up with security = share with no luck)

The share [Music] has guest ok = yes, guest only = Yes and path = /home/Music.

The share shows up on PC's browsing the network but attempting to access the
share gives the error "The network name can not be found." and nothing shows
in log.smbd - and yes, I googled the error message and found several other
with the same problem but no solution that works for me.

Even the test share gives the same error.

Users who DO have samba access to this PC can go to the users share and then
access the Music folder.
This defeats the purpose of trying to set this up with guest access.

Anyone have some tips for me?

It looks like I'm down to 2 choices:

1 - Add everyone who will access the folder to smbpasswd
2 - Give the machine a static IP and have apache serve the files

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bob