[wplug] DSL?

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 00:41:10 EST 2007

On 1/25/07, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/07, Cameron McBride <cameron.mcbride at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Now, I've gotten rid of DSL as FiOS is available.  You don't have a
> > whole lot of vendor choice here, but a 15Mbs / 2Mbs plan was like
> > $45/month (with $15 off the first three months).  I get sustained
> > 2MBps (capital B!) from pair.com when using their debian apt repo.
> > They were offering the 5Mbs / 2Mbs for around $30 - but it seems to be
> > $39.99 at their website now.
>
> Wow do you have a link? I checked FiOS website and didn't see that
> offer. How much do you pay in fees/taxes on that each month? That is
> really fast. Is that price just good for 1 year? If so how much will
> you have to pay when the 1 year offer is up?

It seemed they had better offers.  And we're trying to get their DSL
customers to use FiOS. In any case, after the promo period of 3
months, it'll cost me 44.95 to keep the 15/2 speed.   I just got FiOS
in december, so the last bill was a mess of additions / subtractions.

In any case, what I currently found was:
http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm
(where I quoted the $39.99 from)

> > Like mentioned earlier in this thread, FiOS sufferes a little more
> > latency with connections (probably like a cable connection) but the
>
> Latency is the ping speed right? Why is their latency more if they are so fast?

Not just ping speed.  In any case, I'm guessing it has to do with the
nature of the connection.  If I return to an open SSH session, there
is a 1-2 second pause before it picks up again.  This was not the case
with my DSL.

> > Oh, and they gave me a decent wireless router (rather than the half
> > functional POS that came with the DSL service).  I don't think the TV
>
> Can you get FiOS if you just have regular ethernet card and no router?
> Do they supply a DSL modem? Does FiOS come with static ip? What
> authentication does it use?

yes.  they ran fiber to my house and put up a new phone box thingy
(name is failing me right now).  From there, they ran standard cat5
cable into the room my computer was in - and put in a wireless router
that handles all the login details for verizon.  my box only sees a
local dhcp server and it's ready to roll in a matter of moments.

The only trick is that they have to run your phones over fiber.  So
they have to install a battery pack somewhere that sucks off your
power.  Not a big deal, but in the event of a power outage - I have
limited time for the phones.

Cameron