[wplug] can 2 modems share one cable line?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jan 25 18:28:41 EST 2007

Douglas Green wrote:
> Hey all-
>
> I have cable internet, and would like to use my connection in the
> guest house in the back yard. The guest house is wired with coaxial
> cable, and gets cable TV. There are a lot of walls between the
> structures, and wireless signal will not reach that building with a
> single hop. I was going to set up either a wireless bridge OR use a
> larger antenna, when I had the idea of just installing another cable
> modem at the end of the coax in the guest house. Is this possible or am
> I better off setting up a wireless bridge?

(slightly amusing anecdote that might pertain to the issue)

I once visited my uncle, who had two computers in his office.  He had
bought a cable internet account from two ISPs (they had choices there),
and had a cable modem for each computer.  All hooked into the same
cable.  I think the second cable guy probably gave him a weird look.

I know it worked, but I got rid of the setup one day when I visited with
the purchase of a cheap router/switch.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>