[wplug] DSL?

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 11:27:50 EST 2007

Woah, active topic.

I run debian, and have had NO windows boxen in this house (all dual
boot partitions were detroyed before I moved here about 4 years ago).
I don't really want to say Verizon rocks - but I had their DSL and it
was rock solid for a good long while.  I had some continual ssh
connections that would persist for days.  Their support lines suck,
but now and then you get someone knowledgable (like I did to get
"signed up", I just called and they did over the phone and I was good
to go in around 10 minutes).

Now, I've gotten rid of DSL as FiOS is available.  You don't have a
whole lot of vendor choice here, but a 15Mbs / 2Mbs plan was like
$45/month (with $15 off the first three months).  I get sustained
2MBps (capital B!) from pair.com when using their debian apt repo.
They were offering the 5Mbs / 2Mbs for around $30 - but it seems to be
$39.99 at their website now.

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, FiOS sufferes a little more
latency with connections (probably like a cable connection) but the
raw download speed is pretty freaking cool.  It's amazing to see which
sites are bandwidth limited on their end.  :)

Oh, and they gave me a decent wireless router (rather than the half
functional POS that came with the DSL service).  I don't think the TV
service is available yet, but it doesn't matter to me - I don't watch
network TV (not live, anyhow).

Cameron