[wplug] DSL?

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 14:02:17 EST 2007

Matthew J Hughes wrote:

> Although I dislike the idea of mentioning Verizon in a positive way, my
> price shopper comparison gene is kicking in. I was looking on their
> website, a few months ago, and they had a DSL offer for $14.95/month
> with 1 yr contract. Cheaper than the TV, radio, and mail flyer ads they
> were sending at the time. You could only get it through the website.(and
> at that price the tech support would be near non-exist-ant) and they
> also said something about not needing a phone line. Which at the time
> was what I was gonna try and do. The plan was to use one of the voip
> services and a dedicated computer as my home phone, through 06 when
> skype was offering free domestic calling. However your bandwidth and or
> static/dynamic IP requirements may have been different than mine.
>
> I am curious as to why the cable company is not an option you have
> considered?

Cable may be an option for Zach, however I know that Comcast really dislikes it
when you try to run a server.  Also, to my knowledge, Comcast will not give a
static IP for residential service.  Comcast was not a good value IMO.

Regarding Verizon, I tried to get a "dry-loop" dedicated connection (no voice)
for DSL.  I was told time and time again that it cannot be done at my address.
Speakeasy (Covad) gave me one no problem.  Also, that $15/mo deal includes only
a USB DSL modem.  They likely charge extra from their Ethernet modem/router.

Dave