[wplug] DSL?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:21:07 EST 2007

On 1/24/07, Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net> wrote:

> Some routers include PPPoE clients -- so it's the router that
> authenticates to the provider, not the systems on your LAN.

Ah I see. I just talked to dude at Telerama he told me that they are
Verizon reseller but they can break up their ips and give you 2 static
ips without needing ppoe or anything.  What is the advanatge of having
2 static ips? And would they give me DNS so I had mybox1.telerama.com
mybox2.telerama.com or would I need to register that myself with
InterNIC or whoever is handing DNS registrations these days? And what
about reverse IP requests (if someone does nslookup on my ip for
example) must I run my own DNS servers if I have static ip?

> I've been a business customer since... March 2005-ish.  I've had a few
> hiccups -- outages of less than ten minutes, but nothing worse.

Wow that sounds great.

> http://www.dslreports.com is a good resource for comparing providers.

I searched on Pittsburgh on that site and it found one article which
just listed ISPs I already knew about. I even searched on PA and
checked all the favorable reviews and not one was posted from
Pittsburgh.

Zach