[wplug] DSL?

Jason Jerome jjerome2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 11:06:39 EST 2007

Have you considered getting a router?  Most routers that I know of can keep you connected to your DSL without having to install any software on your computer.  This should eliminate any need for a Windows computer.  I used this method to avoid installing their software when I had Verizon.

I have also been a very happy Speakeasy customer.  I even have their "OneLink DSL"service with VOIP, which basically gives me a non-shared DSL line and I don't have to deal with the phone company at all.  Their customer service is fantastic - I can't accurately describe in an email all the small things they did to help me out.  However, this type of service and  features come at a price - they are more expensive and for the most part they are slower than their competitors in my area (Seattle).

For me, I work at home and I need a very reliable connection with good service, so it's totally worth it.  My friend has a cheaper priced service that is much faster than mine, but he's had some outages (one lasted a week) and spent a lot of time on the phone speaking to a different rep each time he had an issue.  After I got my account setup, I found out that another friend of mine works for Speakeasy, and he was telling me that they religiously check their lines to make sure that they stay up.

That all being said, if you're only looking for a basic fast connection to the web, you might be better to just get a router and go with a phone company's DSL service.  If you're really looking for the extra features (static IP, VOIP, fantastic support) and are willing to pay more, I'd recommend looking at Speakeasy.