[wplug] DSL?

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Wed Jan 24 08:46:52 EST 2007

Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Rob Knapp wrote:
>> Basically, they are high frequency filters so you don't hear the
>> DSL's high frequency chatter on your own phone line. However, if you
>> plug your DSL modem into it, then it won't be able to connect. (Thus
>> the splitter.)
>
> I doubt you could hear in the range that DSL modems transmit, unless
> you're Superman. :) (And I doubt that Lex Luthor is going to be making
> telephone calls.)  The filters are to reduce noise produced by phones,
> fax machines and other telephone devices so as not to garble the
> modulated analogue signal and reduce the speed and quality of the
> network.

I could have sworn I read an article back when DSL was first being
rolled out (I was in PGH so it must have been 98 or 99) that people were
complaining about a high pitched buzzing sound.

But that may have been unrelated to the filters.  I do know that not
having the filter can also interfere with non-human phone usage.  My
in-laws forgot to put a filter on their TiVO, and it was unable to
connect until they corrected the problem.   (Granted this was a Series1
TiVO, which is known to have an overly sensitive modem....)