[wplug] DSL?

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 08:36:07 EST 2007

Zach wrote:
> Was wondering about getting DSL service. It would have to be on the
> cheap end ($30/mo and under) and available in the city proper
> (Beechview) and I want to hear of any WPLUGers experiences with
> setting up DSL in Linux (ordering, getting account setup, hardware
> needed, hardware setup, Linux config, reliability of service, typical
> u/l and d/l speeds, technical support, early termination
> fee/re-connect fee); the more details the better (especially relating
> to Debian Linux) as this will greatly affect my decision.
>
> Zach

I have been using Speakeasy for over two years without issue.  They do not ask
you to execute or install anything on your PC to setup service.  Speakeasy tech
support is excellent too.  No scripted responses, all reps I have dealt with
know what they are talking about, and are happy to help with unique situations.
  Speakeasy DSL, however, starts at $40/month. You do get a static IP though.

Verizon says that their service does not support Linux because the low-cost plan
uses a USB modem rather than a router.  Get a cheap Linksys or D-Link router
which supports PPPoE, and be sure to tell Verizon you want an Ethernet modem.

Dave