[wplug] DSL?

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Wed Jan 24 08:13:40 EST 2007

Zach wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Rob Knapp <myddrin at myddrin.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> Overall, I've been using DSL exhaustively for about a few weeks now -- I
>> telecommute so this includes long ssh sessions, VoIP sessions, large
>> downloads (a few gigs).  In otherwords, not your typical usage.
>
> Interesting writeup. What are these "filters" you spoke of in the
> writeup and how much do they cost? You said to put one on each modem,
> phone line before doing the DSL install?

You get 5 plus 1 splitter with your installation package.  If you need
additional, I think they run $5-10 on froogle.  They are about 2 or 3
inches long.  One end is labeled "wall" and has a male phone jack, the
other is female and labeled "phone".  You plug the filter into your
normal phone jack, and your phone/dialup modem/TiVO/fax into the filter.

Basically, they are high frequency filters so you don't hear the DSL's
high frequency chatter on your own phone line. However, if you plug your
DSL modem into it, then it won't be able to connect. (Thus the splitter.)

[snip]
>> For DSL I get 2.7Mbps just
>> about every time (+/.1Mbps).
>
> Nice. Can I ask how much you pay per month and did you have to sign a
> 1 year contract?
I pay $29.99/month for a 3Mbps line, and yeah there is a one year
contract.  Your price in the city may be different, I'm way out here in
Du Bois.  One of my co-workers who telecommutes from Texas is paying
nearly 40 for the same deal, so I think it varies quite a bit from area
to area.

If you don't want a contract, I'm pretty sure that you can sign up for
month to month service, but you miss out on the really sweet price
points, and you don't get the free hardware.