[wplug] DSL?

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Wed Jan 24 07:48:06 EST 2007

Zach wrote:
> Was wondering about getting DSL service. It would have to be on the
> cheap end ($30/mo and under) and available in the city proper
> (Beechview) and I want to hear of any WPLUGers experiences with
> setting up DSL in Linux (ordering, getting account setup, hardware
> needed, hardware setup, Linux config, reliability of service, typical
> u/l and d/l speeds, technical support, early termination
> fee/re-connect fee); the more details the better (especially relating
> to Debian Linux) as this will greatly affect my decision. I tried the
> Verizon live chat support and was told:
>
> Philip: DSL does not support Linux.
He is full of it, and most likely reading from a script.  I run Verizon
DSL on a network with 3 linux machines and 1 windows machine.

You do, however need a windows machine to get through the initial
setup.  (You may be able to by pass this by calling verizon.)  Wine
emulation will not work, but I imaging VMWare or something would.

Here is a short piece I did on my transition:
http://www.myddrin.com/trashdeerwood/index.cgi/General/124.html?showcomments=yes

Overall, I've been using DSL exhaustively for about a few weeks now -- I
telecommute so this includes long ssh sessions, VoIP sessions, large
downloads (a few gigs).  In otherwords, not your typical usage.

My basic impression (having switched from being a cable customer since
2000), is that while your burst speeds are higher with cable (I could
burst up to 4Mbps on a 4Mbps line), you get a lower, more steady
connection.   In the end, speakeasy's speed test showed an average of
about 2Mbps for my old cable connection (10 tests spread over a week,
the high was 4.xx and the low was 1.5).  For DSL I get 2.7Mbps just
about every time (+/.1Mbps).