[wplug] DSL?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 07:26:39 EST 2007

Was wondering about getting DSL service. It would have to be on the
cheap end ($30/mo and under) and available in the city proper
(Beechview) and I want to hear of any WPLUGers experiences with
setting up DSL in Linux (ordering, getting account setup, hardware
needed, hardware setup, Linux config, reliability of service, typical
u/l and d/l speeds, technical support, early termination
fee/re-connect fee); the more details the better (especially relating
to Debian Linux) as this will greatly affect my decision. I tried the
Verizon live chat support and was told:

Philip: DSL does not support Linux.
Philip: I am sorry to say you need windows 98 or higher version to have DSL
Philip: It will not support linux.
Philip: DSL does not support Linux.
Philip: To speak with a representative who can help you, please call
(800) 567-6789.
Philip: I suggest you to contact Verizon Technical support also.

Heh, sounds like a scripted answer from some poor chap in Bangalore or
Beijing ;-)

Zach