[wplug] X Windows client

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 23 11:00:41 EST 2007

Arnaud Loos wrote:
> I've been asked by a friend to recommend an X Windows client for the
> Microsoft platform, and have decided to defer the question to those more
> knowledgeable than myself. He is looking for a windows package which will
> connect to a Linux box and allow desktop (full or partial) redirection. I've
> already recommended VNC but he's looking for other options.

So, just a clarification, I believe you're looking for a X Server for
Windows.  The clients are programs like XTerm, GIMP, etc.  Also, VNC !=
X Server.  VNC uses the RFB protocol which transmits the entire
framebuffer.  There are times when that works well, but in general,
using a real X Server speaking the X Protocol works much much better
because it can send the drawing primitives (although many desktop themes
negate much of this).

I've found working on Windows there are two really good options for X
servers.  One is Hummingbird's Exceed -- it's been a while since I've
used it, but it worked very well -- however it is commercial ware.
Another good option is the Cygwin X11 server, which has a rootless mode.
  Using this mode X applications just show up as regular applications on
your desktop and look no different.  My wife uses it all the time for
her work without any problems.

--Patrick