[wplug] mythtv: move recordings to another backend

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 23 10:56:57 EST 2007

Eli Heady wrote:
> Hi wplug,
>
> I need to transfer recordings from an older myth backend to a newer
> one. I've considered using nuvexport, but on the older box, this would
> take several days. Is it possible to simply dump the database (or a
> portion of it) and import it on the new backend ... and do the
> disk-swap-copy dance for the actual recordings?

Eli,

Are you talking about switching master backends completey, or just
moving the recordings to a slave backend?

If you're just talking about moving the recording to another slave
backend you can just copy the files to the slave backends storage
directory and then hack the SQL database directly.   Here's what you'd
probably want to do:

UPDATE RECORDED SET hostname='[[OTHERBACKENDHOSTNAME]]' WHERE
basename='[[FILENAMEWITHOUTPATH]]';

Moving your whole master backend you might be better off starting with a
new database, but running mysqldump on your recorded table.  Then import
the dump into your new master and run the command:

UPDATE RECORDED SET hostname='[[NEWHOSTNAME]]';

--Patrick