[wplug] X Windows client

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jan 23 10:50:07 EST 2007

Arnaud Loos wrote:
> I've been asked by a friend to recommend an X Windows client for the
> Microsoft platform, and have decided to defer the question to those more
> knowledgeable than myself. He is looking for a windows package which will
> connect to a Linux box and allow desktop (full or partial) redirection. I've
> already recommended VNC but he's looking for other options.

I'm assuming you mean you want an X Windows *Server* for MS Windows.  X
clients are programs like xterm and xeyes, that connect to the X server
to display.

Does this friend want a free or commercial product?

The two most popular commercial X servers for MS Windows that spring to
mind are:
-XWin32: http://www.starnet.com/products/xwin32/
-Exceed: http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/exceed/index.html?cks=y

As for open source products:
-Cygwin's X server: http://x.cygwin.com/
Cygwin's X server is a port of Xorg's X server that you use on linux.  I
don't know how up to date it is, since it appears that the maintainer
left to work on XWin32.