[wplug] photo paper printing using CUPS

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:49:48 EST 2007

Greetings all,

I found the issue, so like promised, I'm reporting back for the sake
of the archives and any interested parties.

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:32:18PM -0500, Cameron McBride wrote:
> > Has anyone been able to print 4x6 photos on borderless photopaper using
> > CUPS?

Turns out I can do it fine.  I have an HP PSC 2175, using cups and the
hplip (best recommended).  The problem was actually a software bug in
the ppd, this printer was classified as "non-full-bleed capable".
Asking the hplip-help list got me a response, and it should be fixed
in the next release (anything greater than hplip 1.6.12).

For a current workaround, I defined a new printer in cups that used
the "Photosmart 3300" ppd (recommended by the hplip-help people) which
allowed me to easily print full-bleed (borderless) 4x6 photos in
f-spot and other applications directly.

Very awesome.

Now, I will say I'm impressed with the drivers for this printer.  I
have full support of memory card readers, printing modes and scanning.
 hp++ for making this all work with linux.

Thanks again for the suggestions Eric and Patrick.  At a minimum, it
was good to know I wasn't missing something obvious.

Cameron