[wplug] Epson Inkjets (was: printing to network printer)

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 14:53:44 EST 2007

Just a quick tip on Epson inkjets since Drew
recommended them.  I had one and got very frustrated
when my full ink containers would mysteriously report
empty, and since I had 4 colors, if 1 (say Magenta,
which I never used) reported empty, none of them would
work.  This is because there's a little chip in each
cartridge that increments every time you print, and
even if you use no ink it eventually claims to be
empty.

As you can imagine, this was both frustrating and
expensive to debug.  I went and got a slightly more
upscale HP and haven't had these kinds of problems.
However, I did eventually figure out a way around the
chip thing. You can either order a chip resetter from
some shady internet vendor (I was scared to do this),
or you can just go to Island Inkjet- they have these
devices, and were nice enough to reset my chips for
free.  Not sure they'd do this for everyone, but it's
worth a shot.

Bryguy

=====
What is wrong is that we have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity.
            -John Gilmore
             http://cryptome.org/jg-wwwcp.htm