[wplug] Use only a portion of system memory?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 12 12:20:26 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 12:03 -0500, Eli Heady wrote:
> Odd situation, but I need to use only half of the system memory for a
> benchmarking project.
>
> Anybody know how I can accomplish this (without removing the physical RAM)?

Since you're removing half the ram from the pool, you should be able to
pass a MEM=256M or something like that to the kernel (see lilo.conf or
grub.conf to pass it) if the machine has 512MB.  It tends to get a bit
flunky if you're not using powers of 2 though.  Just a word of warning
on that.

Also, it's been a very long time since I had to do this, so I'm not sure
if it still works or not.  I know the memory detection in Linux has
dramatically improved in recent years.

--Patrick