[wplug] Trivialities... Re: A gentle reminder on posting etiquette

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Jan 10 07:59:58 EST 2007

Brian Sammon wrote:
>> And that's why it's now part of the standard set of announcements that
>> are made before every meeting.  Yes, it's a little sad that one troll
>> made us do this, but that's what happens sometimes.
>
> Am I reading this correctly?  After a long discussion about figuring out why
> people don't come to WPLUG anymore, Ian drops by to explain why he stopped
> going to WPLUG anymore, and he gets called a troll for his troubles?
>
> I hate to think that this may have just confirmed his suspicions about us.

Oooh, don't you love how you can misread a message, and turn it into a
personal attack?

At CMU, we had this unofficial policy called the RPP, the "Reasonable
Person Policy", which translates into, "Be a reasonable person, and
assume others are reasonable too."  I tend to use this as a personal
philosophy when working with others.

Now, had I wondered the same thing that Brian had, I would have thought
to myself, "Why would Patrick call a poster a troll?  I believe Patrick
is a Reasonable person.  How could he possibly think this would improve
the poster's opinion of the meetings, and of the group as a whole?"

People aren't always reasonable, but at least I hope that they try to
get their ideas in order before posting them publicly to the mailing
list.  So, at least in my mind, I'm interpreting Patrick's message as
referring to the troll in the "Internet definition", someone who is
disruptive or provocative.  This is a good description of someone who
disrupted WPLUG meetings by answering phone calls during talks, and
provoked a response from the general attendance.