[wplug] Be nice if we had such a freenet in Pittsburgh

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Feb 22 22:50:02 EST 2007

>> By community wireless I guess I more mean government subsidized wireless
> which is often referred to as "community wireless". I don't have any problem
> with sharing the usage and cost of bandwidth.
> When I worked for the ISP we were starting to deploy some wireless as some
> communities were trying to start community wireless as a service of the
> municipality. I think that is government stomping on the private sector.
>
> perhaps the couple of beers made my comments unclear :)

 	Ah, yes. As I see it, community(-run) wireless networks are not
the same as municipality-subsidized wireless networks.

 	Isn't the Downtown WiFi thing a municipality-subsidized network?

 	I'd also like to say that I would think that local municipalities
could benefit from taking their networking and telecommunications into
their own hands, rather than spend twice as much (or more) to Verizon for
their localized across-the-street types of communication (each month). I
can't imagine that any City taking this kind of approach would save
taxpayers money. That is a good kind of stomping on the private sector.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net