[wplug] Release Engineering (WAS: [Fwd: [FreeBSD-Announce] Security Officer-supported branches update])

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Thu Feb 22 15:34:43 EST 2007

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> Redhat who kills ES/AS release support after 2-3 years and compels major
> system-migrations (libc, kernel)

No reason to single out Redhat. The whole Linux development community
seems to think it's perfectly reasonable to make major changes on a
regular basis. It's a nightmare for everyone trying to support HPC
environments that are used to running on Cray and SGI.

"Yes, Mr. Customer, you have to recompile all your applications again."
"Yes, Mr. Customer, you have re-validate all your answers again."
"No, Mr. Customer, it doesn't work like that any more."
"No, Mr. Customer, we can't measure that statistic any more. The kernel
developers didn't think it was important."
"Yes, Mr. Customer, I know that Linux is doing very bad things with the
buffer cache and it's having a negative effect on your application.
There's nothing you can do because the kernel developers want it to work
like that."

Michael