[wplug] Be nice if we had such a freenet in Pittsburgh

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Feb 21 17:52:14 EST 2007

> Up until last summer I was serving 2 of my neighbors internet service using
> wrt54g's using the sveasoft alchemy firmware. I was running WDS between the
> routers and WPA-Radius so we made the whole end of our block a big
> subscriber only hotspot with roaming between AP's. The cost of business dsl
> was alittle too much for me to maintain though.

 	Wow, that's fab! I know there are a couple of other people in the
area providing wireless. I'll send you a message offline, and we can talk
about how you've done that. It would be nice to get a write-up on how you
made that happen.

> I would love to set this up again on a broader basis but the buy-in is a
> little difficult.

 	As far as costs involved -- Can I mention the Goodwill computer
store in the SoSide? They just expanded, and moved their store to the
first floor of the big goodwill building. I picked up a couple of WAP54Gs,
and a WRT54G v2, and pretty cheaply. Both of these units will run DD-WRT,
and some of the other firmware kits.

 	(In fact, I have this Goodwill-acquired WAP11 almost ready for
installation into this paint-can, to use as a 'target node' to see how far
I can talk to it from Tree #2.)

 	If you do have wireless equipment laying around, or are interested
in this kinda stuff -- pipe up.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net