[wplug] static DHCP via multiple interfaces

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 17 11:21:19 EST 2007

I've got a Thinkpad t43p laptop that has both wireless and wired
interfaces.  The wireless is an intel a/b/g that runs using the madwifi
driver.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the process of development of
Ubuntu Edgy (Oct 2006), they mangled the driver and it has a performance
regression from Dapper (Jun 2006). (For more information on the issue
see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/63886)

This has led me to utilize both the wireless and wired interfaces.  I
use the wired connection when I'm working on my desk at home, and the
wireless when I'm elsewhere, such as "working" from the couch.  On my
network IP address allocation is handled by a WRT54GL that's running
DD-WRT 23sp2.  Both interfaces are entered into the static DHCP address
table on the WRT54G.

Right now these addresses are different from one another.  This means
that when I switch from the wireless to the wired interface all of my
previous sessions, such as remote X sessions to work or NFS connections
break.  Suckage.  This leads me to take a few minutes to restart from
where I was.  When I was in Boston at the GNOME Summit last year, one of
the folks there mentioned that on their network they had it configured
so their wired and wireless laptop interfaces will get the same IP
address.  NetworkManager then switches the networks and the connections
- ssh, nfs, etc - all continue to work.

 From what I understand about IP and TCP this should be possible, as the
OS will still know the proper sequence numbers to send for the
connections, indicating that the connection can continue.  Anecdotally,
it seems this works as when the wifi interface dies and comes back
shortly afterward, my ssh sessions usually persist.  Anyway, before I go
deeper into the problem, I just wanted to make sure my interpretation
was correct and that it is the case that I can switch interfaces and if
they have the same IP address my TCP connections will work.

Secondly, is it possible to do this with DD-WRT?  DD-WRT has a web gui
for configuration and if I try to enter a static IP that is already
assigned I'll get an error message saying it's already assigned.  Is
this a situation where I need to modify settings in the nvram directly?

Anyway, thanks for reading.  Help is appreciated.

--Patrick