[wplug] Tab-completion for file URLs in Firefox?

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Feb 15 13:11:00 EST 2007

I recently switched from Galeon to Firefox (or Iceweasel, as it's
called in Debian now).

One thing I miss is the ability to navigate to a local file using
tab-completion, the same way you do in bash.  For example, if I type
"file:///u" in the URL bar and then hit tab, Galeon expands this to
"file:///usr/", and waits for me to type a little more.  But in
Firefox, it expands to whatever previous URLs in my browsing history
match that prefix, which isn't what I want.

Does anyone know if there's a configuration variable or extension to
do what I want?