[wplug] [wplug-announce] WPLUG Special Event at Team 1 Systems, Tuesday, February 20th, 2007

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 13 13:48:19 EST 2007

On Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 at 7pm WPLUG is having a very special
event presented by Bill Davis and hosted by Team 1 Systems out in
Murrysville.  This event is open to the general WPLUG community and is
free.  If you've got system administrator friends, or know some IT
managers, it's a great opportunity to bring them along.  No RSVP is
required, however, it is encoraged that you email me to let me know if
you're coming to the event so we can plan for logistics (e.g. food).

Because the event is a good distance from the Oakland area of
Pittsburgh, we're coordinating rides for this event.  If you need more
information on rides or the meeting please see:

http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20070220

"Linux-based High Availability and DR Solutions"

I will cover NEC's High Availability options for mission critical Linux
applications. The presentation will discuss both hardware and software
choices:

The presentation begins with a brief hardware 'primer' or overview of
today's x86 server architecture.  From there, I will cover the evolution
of server hardware to address availability concerns which leads into the
Ft Server discussion.There will be a demonstration of how the server
handles hardware failures.

The second part of the presentation will focus on Linux-based Clustering
software for high availability.  We will cover LAN, WAN, and SAN
solutions.  There will be a demonstration of the LAN Clustering software
- failover and fail back.

The final section will be about how operators can mix and match both the
hardware and software choices to optimize availability based on
requirements and budget.

Any remaining time is available for discussion and Q&A.

Directions To Team 1 Systems:

155 Prominence Dr.

 From Downtown Pittsburgh

Pkway East/Monroeville to Rte 22 East
Rte 22E bear Right onto Route 286 "Golden Mile Highway"
Stay on 286 East appx 11 mi...the road turns into Rte 380 East
***do not take the Rte 286 Exit***
Stay on 380 appx 5 mi. Look for Signs for :
"ALCOA Center" and "Westmoreland Industrial Research Park".
    (Blue Signs w/ white letters)
Get in left Lane, make left onto Rte 780.
Appx. 2 Miles, make a left into the Park.  Large sign at entrance.(Hunt
Valley
   Road)
The first right is Prominence Dr. - "Swank" building on the corner.
Team 1 is the first building on the Left after the top of the rise.

Please Note:  Our building is so new it's not yet made the major on-line
Map services databases.  If you want to find our location on line, search
for Westmoreland Business Research Park, not 155 Prominence Dr.