[wplug] Samba and LDAP

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 13 10:32:17 EST 2007

jeman062383 at aol.com wrote:
> I want to setup an authetication server for windows clients at the
> organization where I work. The problem is I don't know if they can
> afford a license for Windows server 2k/2k3 plus
> I wanna gain some *nix experience. So I was wondering if anyone has
> experience setting up Samba to work with LDAP or setting Samba up to
> work as a NT PDC?

Dear person-who-doesn't-have-their-real-name-on-their-email,

I don't have much experiencing doing this, but I can point you to
someone who does.  Jorge Castro (firstname.lastname at gmail.com or
firstname at whiprush.org) is well known for his work on getting Samba,
Active Directory, Windows, and everything else to play nice.  He's been
working with GNOME on some of the large installation integration stuff
and gives talks at Ohio LinuxFest about the topic.  He should be able to
point you to some better resources.

Also, a few quick notes about your message.  First, remember that this
list is archived for all of time.  Long after your children die you
message will be preserved in the bowels of the WPLUG server or Google,
so be careful about what you mention on the list.  Secondly, and this is
just a personal thing I really like having an idea of the name of the
person that I'm talking to, especially because you might be someone I've
met before.  Putting your name associated with your email makes the list
more friendly.  If AOL doesn't allow you to do that, a signature line
also helps out.  Just a personal pet peeve.  But then again, given the
circumstances, I can understand your desire to remain nameless.  (You'll
also notice I've redacted part of your original message).

--Patrick