[wplug] moving partitions

scoob8000 scoob8000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 22:21:17 EST 2007

First I would opt to use a live cd instead of copying from a mounted file
system..

SysRescCd is my choice..  It's about 100mb, has a ton of tools and if the PC
has enough ram you can even cache the cd in memory.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Provided you're connecting the two PC's via a crossover cord you can:

On the laptop:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

and on the desktop:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

That will get you connectivity between the two machines.  As for copying
from one to the other, there are a few options.  The easiest as mentioned is
DD and another tool called netcat (NC)

WARNING:  Be very careful with the DD tool, if you enter a syntax wrong or
specify the wrong drive you can easily overwrite your data with no warning.
Be sure to keep your IF (input) and OF (output) straight.  Also make sure
/hdb is the drive you want to write to on the desktop.  :)

On the desktop:
nc -l -p 9000 | dd of=/dev/hdb

On the laptop:
dd if=/dev/hda | nc 192.168.1.11

Also it's worthwhile to note this method will only work if the drive in your
desktop is bigger than that in your laptop.  All partitions will be kept the
same size.

On that same cd you can "run_qtparted" to run a nice graphical partition
editor that will let you resize your partitions..