[wplug] Re: MBA Course at Katz.pitt.edu: BMIS 2590

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:29:50 EST 2007

Mike Sussman wrote:
> The course schedule says "Butler,Brian S" is teaching this course this fall.
>
> On Monday 12 February 2007 12:00 pm, wplug-request at wplug.org wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:36:41 -0500
>> From: "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org>
>> Subject: [wplug] MBA Course at Katz.pitt.edu: BMIS 2590 - Current
>> 	Topics in	MIS - Open Source Technologies
>> To: wplug at wplug.org
>>
>> Does anyone know who the professor is that teaches this course?  Has
>> anyone taken it, or spoken with anyone who has taken it?
>>
>> TIA,
>> ~~BAS

Brian is a sharp guy who has written a decent amount on online
communities.  I've spoken to him about previous iterations of this class
and he's pretty knowledgeable about the issue, but not at the same level
as you would be.  Some of the stuff is just forcing people to experience
OSS rather than read about it (eg Installing linux so you understand how
the support community works).  I'm sure it's got a decent mix of
academic papers on the subject, which typically vary wildly, but should
make you think a little bit about how organizations are structured.

--Patrick