[wplug] moving partitions

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:43:14 EST 2007

I have 2 machines: one is a laptop, the other is an old desktop.
Neither has a CD/DVD burner nor do I have broadband internet access
yet however both machines have NIC cards so I thought I could buy a
few feet of CAT5 ethernet cable and connect them to transfer
everything from the laptop to the desktop (which has an extra 50GB
hard disk that is empty and would be perfect for this task).

The laptop has 2 partitions: /hda1 for Win32 and /hda2 for Linux.

Both machines are running Debian testing release. The laptop machine
is up to date howver the dekstop has not been updated in 3 years and
it would not be practical to update it at this point since I don't yet
have broadband. Hopefully that will not hinder me from the task at
hand.

The desktop has 3 partitions: /hda1 for Win32, hda2 for Linux and hdb1
(IIRC) which is either blank or was formatted for Linux Swap.

I've never hooked up ethernet or setup a LAN nor transferred a hard
disk image from one machine to another. I want to transfer the Win32
AND Linux partitions from the laptop over to the desktop extra hard
disk.

The ethernet cable I just plug into each NIC. Never setup a NIC before
so does someone know how I do this?

After that is working what should I do to get the 2 machines talking
to one another.

And what is the method method for transferring the data (20GB Win32
and 16HB Linux partitions).

Also should I copy the data over rather than move it in case there is
a problem? I don't have enough spare space on the laptop side for this
though (only about 200MB free total on the entire disk including Win32
and Linux partitions).

Regards,
Zach