[wplug] MBA Course at Katz.pitt.edu: BMIS 2590 - Current Topics in MIS - Open Source Technologies

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sun Feb 11 15:36:41 EST 2007

Does anyone know who the professor is that teaches this course?  Has
anyone taken it, or spoken with anyone who has taken it?

TIA,
~~BAS

"Over the past decade the phenomenon of open source software has moved
from a technical curiosity to the mainstream of IS management. With the
emergence of production quality systems such as Linux, MySQL, and
Apache, open source technologies are now a viable option for firms
developing their IT infrastructure. However, the distinctive nature of
open source communities, firms, and technologies gives rise to many
issues different from those encountered when acquiring systems from
traditional vendors.

In this course, we will examine issues associated with open source
technologies. Through a combination of readings, discussion,
presentations, and hands-on projects, we will examine (i)
characteristics of key open source technologies (Linux, MySQL, and
Apache), (ii) the nature of open source communities and development
processes, and (iii) the evolving structure of the open source industry.
In each case, the focus will be on understanding the implications for
businesses interested in making use of open source technologies.'