[wplug] Software builds.

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Sat Feb 10 17:16:16 EST 2007

It all depends on the organization of the source, really.  Packages like
gcc and glibc "strongly recommend" (read: require) that you set up a
separate build directory, i.e.

tar xzf gcc-x.y.tar.gz
cd gcc-x.y
../configure <arguments>
make bootstrap

whereas most other packages I've built don't care *where* you build, and
a few don't even *like* the build-directory method.

The stuff I've written has been simple enough that I can use the
build-in-place method.

DAC