[wplug] Re: Software Builds

Mike Sussman sussmanm at math.pitt.edu
Sat Feb 10 12:29:30 EST 2007

Kabel wrote:

> A professor of mine recently got on my case as to how I build software.. he
> advocates two directories, one for source, one for builds.  Packages get
> their own subdirectory in each, with source going in the appropriate subdir.
> and builds done in the other.
>
> I've never heard of doing it this way, and he may well have been referring to
> a specific case, but does anyone else do this?
>
> What other good practices have I missed out on along these lines?
>
> kabel

This is the only way to go if you have several different target
platforms.  I used to develop code that was to run on an Alpha platform,
two different Linux platforms, and my desktop workstation, which was an
SGI.  The only way to keep things straight was to separate the source
from the build.

--
Mike Sussman
sussmanm at math.pitt.edu