[wplug] Homebrew DHCP-TFTP-DNS Appliance - any pre made distributions?

Mike Sussman sussmanm at math.pitt.edu
Sun Feb 4 11:15:34 EST 2007

> From: Gentgeen <gentgeen at linuxmail.org>
> Subject: Re: [wplug] Homebrew DHCP-TFTP-DNS Appliance - any pre made
> 	distributions?
> To: General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:35:09 -0500
> scoob8000 <scoob8000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Looking to build a box to serve as a DHCP server, TFTP server, and
> > possibly as a caching nameserver..
> >

> Did you look at IPCop?  Mine is a DHCP server, servers out the TFTP info
> (the actually files are on a different computer.  Use it netbooting
> machines for LTSP) and I think it does caching nameserver (if not by
> default, there is most likely a plugin).
>
> Not exactly an "appliance" but I see a lot on the mailing list about
> people installing it to flash drives, and such to create the appliance.
>
> Be honest, I can't say enough good things about IPCop.

I have used the LEAF router/firewall for many years, although I recently
stopped because I got a wireless access point/router/firewall that is
Linux-based and does the same thing.  I had excellent results from the
LEAF "distribution" and they have an active and helpful mailing list.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

--
Mike Sussman