Fwd: [wplug] One Laptop Per Child

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Mon Dec 17 11:57:11 EST 2007

Hi A Belser,

I ordered my XO laptop on Day No. 1.  I had registered to be notified
and ordered it immediately.  I read on http://olpcnews.com/forum/ that
several folks have already received theirs.  I added my name to the
frappr map that I found there (http://www.frappr.com/?a=basics&s=size&mvid=137440349626&origin=onsite
).  I hope that it shows up any day now.  I have a grandson nearly 5
years old.  He was so excited 2 years ago when my wife gave him a
Spiderman laptop which teaches him to spell 3 letter words.  Last
year, I gave him a laptop from Radio Shack that was on sale - it was a
bit more like a real laptop - had usb port, mouse, etc.  I haven't
heard much whether he uses it.  I am hoping that OLPC XO will be a hit
for him.  He may still be a bit young for it, but he is precocious
(after all, he is my grandson).

I saw an XO at the Ohio Linux meeting (www.ohiolinux.org) and was
really amazed at how small it was.  When I first saw it in Popular
Science, it looked pretty much like a regular laptop - the
proportions, that is.  You need fairly tiny fingers to fit the XO
keyboard.

Oh - I also posted the Wall Street Journal article to slashdot and it
got some good comments.  (see below)

I hope this helps.

Greg

| Intel, Microsoft Despised the XO Laptop                            |

|   from the immune-response dept.                                   |

|   posted by kdawson on Saturday November 24, @15:59 (Education)    |

|   http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/24/2015229       |

[0]gregsim writes "The Wall Street Journal today reports that the new XO

laptop, centerpiece of the One Laptop Per Child project, is

[1]stimulating an active response from both Intel and Microsoft. The

companies evidently feel threatened by the little upstart, intended to

help third-world children. (The XO runs Linux and uses AMD chips.)

Microsoft has cut their software to $3 each and Intel has designed their

own laptop called the Classmate to sell between $230 and $300, nearly

double the XO's price. Rather than defend the relative merits of his

creation, professor Negroponte is crying foul and (if the article is to

be believed) not even arguing the technical merits. The initial demand

for the XO has fallen well below Mr. Negroponte's projections as Intel

and Microsoft have successfully argued that their entries are superior.

45,000 have been ordered through the Give One, Get One campaign. I am

happy that I ordered mine — it will be a landmark model in any case."

Discuss this story at:

    http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=07/11/24/2015229

Links:

    0. mailto:gregsim at telerama.com