[wplug] Ripping audio CDs in Linux?

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Sun Dec 9 10:44:52 EST 2007

Hey Zach,

For ripping, I use a combination of cdparanoia and sox.

cdparanoia -B  will give you every track on the CD (and the initial
pre-emphasis track, if there is one).  These tracks are suitable for TAO
burning as-is.  What occasionally happens to me is that, when ripping a
DAO CD, a single stream will be split into two files.  An example is
Beethoven's Symphony Nr. 5, where the second movement proceeds to the
third without a break.  The CD producers usually put a track boundary at
the start of the third movement, so you get two files.  I'll use sox in
stitching the two files together to get a single file again.  Of course,
sox is great for converting the wavs to MP3, too.

DAC