[wplug] Ripping audio CDs in Linux?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Fri Dec 7 15:06:56 EST 2007

Kevin Squire wrote:
> I personally use grip -- like the other, it does the CD DB lookup for
> you.  I also use Debian, so I know it is in the repos.

Actually, just a note.  Most open source programs no longer use the CDDB
system due to silly copyright and usage restrictions from GraceNote (thanks
for taking the data I helped with and locking it up!).  It's more common to
use FreeDB now, which is the same thing.  Some projects also incorporate
MusicBrainz for audio fingerprinting when disc lookup isn't available.

--Patrick