[wplug] DSL or higher ISP?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Mon Dec 3 13:52:03 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 10:41 -0500, Arenlor BloodLeaf wrote:

> I live in Beaver Falls and am fed up with Verizon's lack of supporting
> customers who use Linux, no not lack of support for Linux, lack of
> actually giving ANY support (I had to lie to get billing support). So
> I'm looking for an ISP that is DSL or higher which will let me ask them
> why my inte

Yea screw Verzion and their crappy IP backbone.  Worst BGP view out
there. The Westell bridges are part of the problem, but the new
Actiontec FIOS units really take it home.

Penn Telecom has always been Pittsburgh's best DSL L1 provider, with
your choice of IP carriers or Penn-Telecom themselves (aka, Nauticom).

They use the Paradyne Hotwire MVL Bridge/DSLAM.

Most ISPs on the SDSL side use bridged WAN space (as opposed to some
stupid insanity with PPPoE).  If your ILEC is Verizon, they'll resell
you a brand new copper run all the way from the DSLAM to your DMARC.

Hard code your WAN interface IP and it will run solid for years.

~BAS