[wplug] questions and clarification regarding RAM upper limits

Brie Gordon brie.gordon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:04:00 EDT 2007

So, I've been reading about the maximum amount of RAM that a computer
can handle and I've been seeing the same response come up over and
over again.
A machine with a 32-bit architecture can handle up to 4 GB of RAM
(I've seen 'hacks' to get Windoze to address more memory through an
edit of the boot.ini file but I'm skeptical (and also don't care as
much as I no longer use it). A 64-bit processor can handle a lot more
(16 TB). Is this across the board? I've seen information that puts the
Red Hat kernel 2.4 at 64 GB.

So, can any one confirm 4 GB is the max for a 32-bit architecture?
For Fedora, Ubuntu, and Red Hat (let's assume 2.6.x kernels) with
64-bit architectures what is the max?

I know that some of you may have heard this question a million times
but I would like something a little more concrete than what I've been
reading from people I (kind of) know.

Thanks for your time.
--
Brie Gordon

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

--Hyman G Rickover

mi blog: briealeida.tumblr.com