[wplug] Dual boot laptop becomes really hot

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Thu Aug 23 09:01:18 EDT 2007

> I have a dual boot (XP/FC) IBM X60. The user has installed customized
> user-mode kernels and the laptop palm rest becomes extremely hot after
> running for several hours. The laptop does not over heat or shut down, just
> becomes very hot to the touch.

I had a similar problem with a Toshiba laptop. a few years ago.   In that case, the root problem was that the thermal grease on the CPU mount was covered in filth and needed to be replaced.

However, just as you describe I didn't see the problem when I was booted into XP, only on Linux.  My theory is that the fans were running harder in XP, and thus compensating for the issue.  However, in the long term its likely that XP would have started overheating as well.  (This is also based on the fact that I could hear & feel the fans when booted into XP, but only feel them (by putting my hand in front of them) when in linux.)

I'm sure you've tried it, but if you can find out how to access the CPU, crack it open and see if there is a lot of dirt and gunk.