[wplug] help needed to install ubuntu in external USB

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 21:30:12 EDT 2007

Vikram Sai Balaji <vikramsaibalaji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks smith, you were right about the order of device. i modified
> the values during boot time from (hd1,0) to (hd0,0) on the grub in
> my external drive. It worked.

It works fine as long as you don't mind changing your BIOS setup
every time you want to boot from the USB device.  If you don't, then
you can use the alternative option I gave you (modifying the existing
GRUB under your existing Debian install).

> Just that it takes some time to load.

Of course, as USB is not anywhere as fast as native ATA.  USB has
severe efficiency issues as a block interface in general.

[ Hint:  USB was never designed for block interfaces, it was designed
as the low-speed character interface complement to FireWire, which
was designed for high-speed block interfaces with a full storage
command set.  Even USB 2.0 EHCI 480Mbps suffers from this major
design difference. ]

> Almost every hardware is detected properly. i am able to connect to
> my wifi and burn cd¶ / dvd¶.

Glad to hear.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com