[wplug] Thoughts & Considerations for email server

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Sun Aug 19 21:23:47 EDT 2007

Kevin Squire wrote:
> ALL THE RAID 5 COMMENTS -
>   It is a hardware setup, HP Smart Array e200/128 BBWC Controller

There is an inconsistency. This is a PCI Express card but the
specifications for the Proliant system you list indicate that it comes
with a PCI-X RAID card. Either this is not the card, the specs are out
of date, or you are specifically choosing this card. The system has both
PCI-X and PCIe slots.

HP Describes the card as:

    "HP's first entry level PCI Express (PCIe) Serial Attached SCSI
(SAS) RAID controller. The full size card has 8 ports and utilizes
DDR1-266 memory. The E200 is ideal for RAID 0/1 and has128 MB
battery-backed write cache (BBWC) module for RAID 5."

Here's what I read between the lines in this description.

  - This is a first generation product. It could be solid and stable or
it might not.

  - This is an ENTRY LEVEL product. This can mean different things and
doesn't necessarily imply that it will not deliver the performance you
are looking for. However, it probably means that there are other cards
that will deliver higher throughput under heavy load.

  - The card is referred to as being ideal for RAID 0/1. It supports
RAID 5, but the wording seems to imply that the card is not specifically
designed to deliver high throughput RAID5 workloads.

Again, I don't mean to imply that this card is unsuitable for your
application. You first have to have a good handle on what your expected
workload is going to be. Then you should performance test the card to
ensure that it delivers the throughput that you require. Based on what
you've said so far, you have no way to actually predict what your
expected workload is, in terms of average I/O request size and number of
I/O requests per second.

Michael