[wplug] Thoughts & Considerations for email server

Edward Walter ewalter at walterama.com
Sat Aug 18 15:17:44 EDT 2007

I ran a similar setup with courier, postfix, and SquirrelMail for a
number of years (approx 4) on my network at home.  I used maildirs as
the data store and occasionally ran into weird issues where mailboxes
would seem to go stale (content wouldn't refresh in aa timely manner).
I attributed this to mailbox size (number of messages) and the
underlying hardware (old crappy hardware RAID 5 controller).  Setting up
imapproxy made this a little better but never completely solved it.

If I were going to do this again, I'd probably select Cyrus IMAP instead
(I believe it scales better).

Your users will probably come to hate SquirrelMail.  It's good for quick
access when your traveling.  I wouldn't use it for everyday email access.

For your RAID setup, with 4 disks, I would look at RAID 10 or RAID 6
instead of RAID 5.  With RAID 10, you'll get better performance than
RAID 5.  With RAID 6, you can lose 2 disks and still be functional (same
with RAID 10 if the disks aren't part of the same mirror pair).  There
are a couple of issues with RAID 5.  First, the likelihood of losing a
second disk is higher when rebuilding the array.  Second, with large
disks, the rebuild time is longer (obviously) so the risk of a
catastrophic failure is higher.  RAID 6 addresses this by maintaining 2
parity bits (instead of one).

One other observation;  you're planning to provide 700 GB of space for
7,000 users.  That works out to roughly 100 MB per user.  You're
providing less storage than the free email services and (arguably) a
lower quality interface for accessing mail.  I'm not trying to be
critical but why do you expect this project to succeed?  It seems setup
to fail (from a resource perspective).

-Ed Walter