[wplug] My computer is going slightly insane

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Aug 18 11:45:17 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 11:38 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> Nope, normally the virtual terminal is fine.  It's just when these
> weird things happen that the vt is like that.  If I turn on the
> framebuffer, would that prevent it?

Possibly.  Try vga=792 for 1024x768, vga=795 for 1280x1024.

> So, is there a way to test that that doesn't involve finding someone
> with fancy equipment?  If it's just a voltmeter, my stepdad might have
> one of those...unless the one he was using here a few years ago was
> his son's in which case it's far away.

Some BIOS/CMOS setup screens can even show you the voltage on various
lines.  If the voltage is down on a line, it could be inadequate
current.  As the system heats up, it only gets worse.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com