[wplug] [OT] Why /. doesn't matter -- WAS: Book published using Open Source software

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 17 20:45:37 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 19:57 -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Its not something I feel strongly about or anything, but... I still
> like slashdot.  I read the headlines and the article summaries.  Try
> to stay out of the discussions.
> I like The Register.  They have some very funny people writing there,
> and they manage to cover the bases pretty well too.

The problem with the Register is that they can have some people that are
really "out of their field" at times  Hopefully one of these days we'll
have more of a Meritocracy-type, peer-reviewed, news outlet.

Even, Wikipedia only goes so far, and some other "community" resources
tend to be very politically aligned or biased.  I can't read Groklaw,
and once I found it a Paralegal (not a lawyer) runs it, I instantly
said, "that makes sense."  I'm not a lawyer myself, but I've dealt with
contract law enough to know when someone is reaching.

Until then, more of the "established" technical and legal organizations
aren't going to be replaced, especially non-profits.  The IEEE keeps on
going for a reason.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com