[wplug] [OT] Why /. doesn't matter -- WAS: Book published using Open Source software

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 17 17:08:08 EDT 2007

"Bryan J. Smith" <thebs413 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can be an expert in a field of maybe only a dozen people.  And
> the "mob rule" will make your details irrelevant if they don't fit
> the "popular agenda."
> E.g., I worked at a leading async fabless semiconductor firm some
> 6-8 years ago.  A colleague of mine and I who worked at that firm'
> tried correct several people, and we were utterly lambasted.

Actually, for the heck of it, I hit /.  Saw several articles that
reminded me why I don't read it.  E.g., the NASA/Endeavor thread.

But being a former NASA engineer myself (worked on missile defense
before that), I can't even begin to correct people in that thread.
In fact, I'm laughed at when I point out that the STS (Shuttle
Transport System) is the greatest engineering feat of NASA, and
Project Apollo pales in comparison from an engineering perspective.
Heck, half of the people on /. probably think the moon landings were
faked, based on watching one video, which is laughable to anyone who
has basic engineering mechanics.

BTW, here's a perspective you'll _never_ hear on /.:

"NASA keeps breaking a core rule of engineering"
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/07/nasa-keeps-breaking-core-rule-of.html

But traditional engineers are a dying breed these days.  Fewer and
fewer graduates in the US every year, not even 1/10th year's past.
People think I'm arrogant when I point out that I'm a traditional
engineer, with traditional education and experience.  No.  But it
does mean that I was formally trained how to think, and I've had
experience in several areas, areas where people constantly tell me
I'm wrong

Sigh.  Reminds me of /.  Popular viewpoint and political alignment
overriding knowledge of engineering mechanics, electronics,
microeconomics, etc...  With today's bloggers, you can always find 1
person that can disagree, and that's when the mob rallies around
that.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com