[wplug] Book published using Open Source software

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Fri Aug 17 15:13:12 EDT 2007

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> In 2005, I was involved with Boeing's workflow on all major,
> classified/confidential R&D projects.  Boeing was still supporting
> old MS Office file versions on the F-15/F-18 factory floor.  Why?
> Because engineering "broke down" years ago and _stupidly_ started
> using MS Office/Word.  The documents are _not_ readable in new
> versions, or just blatantly missing information.

I don't know this first hand, but my Swiss friend told me the Government
of Switzerland had to pay Microsoft multiple $millions for licensing
(Microsoft didn't do the actual work) for them to convert old versions
of Microsoft Word documents.  He is very active in the open source
movement in Switzerland to move into truly open formats.  Getting stung
like this is a very powerful motivator.

Greg