[wplug] Mount Remote Drive

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:10:50 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Max Putas <maxblaze at gmail.com> wrote:
> Save yourself the hassle of setting up SAMBA, download PSCP and push the
> image to the linux box from the Win2003 server. SMB is horrendously slow
> anyway when it comes to this type of thing.
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

I don't particularly like SMB, but when someone says pscp and
"horrendously slow" in the same paragraph...

When I've tested it, SMB does reasonably well in terms of efficiency
for very large files.  Its not FTP, but its often faster than HTTP.
YMMV.  As for scp or sftp, I've always found them to be reliable,
flexible, and generally slow.  Again, YMMV.

The thing SMB (and scp, for that matter) really choke on are lots of
files.  It seems like there's a lot of overhead in opening and closing
files.

Also, one thing I've often found, is that if there isn't a full-duplex
connection between the two ends of the transfer, it slows things down
greatly.

Just my $.02.